Underfloor Heating Leak Detection
Underfloor heating leak detection is a specialist service provided by our team at ADI Leak Detection.
We are a water leak detection company providing a comprehensive underfloor heating leak detection service that utilizes the latest non destructive leak detection technology and techniques to locate and repair any leaks in your system.
Are you worried about a leak in your underfloor heating system? Have you noticed any signs of damage or dampness in the area of your underfloor heating? Don’t let a problem go undetected and cause further damage to your property.
What Are The Signs Of A Leak In Under floor Heating?
There are 5 key signs of a leak in your underfloor heating system:
1. Decreased heating efficiency: If your under-floor heating is not heating your home as it used to or is providing uneven heating this could be a sign of a leaking pipe.
2. Wet spots on the floor: Any wet spots on the floor could be a sign of a leak in the underfloor heating pipes.
3. Strange noises: If you hear strange noises coming from your under-floor heating, this could be due to a leak.
4. High utility bills: A leaking underfloor heating pipe can cause your utility bills to increase, as the system works harder to maintain the desired temperature.
5. Unusual smells: A leak can cause unusual smells in your home, such as a musty or damp oudor.
What Causes Underfloor Heating To Leak?
Underfloor heating systems leak because of various reasons including:
1. Corrosion: Over time, the pipework that make up the underfloor heating can corrode, leading to leaks.
2. Poor installation: If the underfloor heating pipes are not installed correctly, it can lead to leaks.
3. Physical damage: If the heating pipe is damaged during construction or renovation work, it can lead to leaks.
4. Extremely Cold Weather: In extremely cold weather there is a chance of the pipes freezing, causing water leaks and long term damage if not repaired.
5. Age: Over time, your underfloor heating pipe may simply wear out and start to leak.
6. Poor maintenance: Neglecting regular maintenance of the heating pipe circuit can lead to leaks.
How We Find Leaks On Under-floor Heating Systems
Our water leak detection specialists are called in to find leaks on underfloor heating systems across England, Scotland and Wales every day of the week!
As specialists in finding the source of underground heating leaks in homes and commercial properties we follow a specific highly detailed process.
Are wondering which technique is used to detect water leakage in underfloor heating?
We use multiple methods of leak testing in a multi-step process including the use of Tracer gases & a gas sensor, a Thermal Imaging Camera, Acoustic Listening Devices, Moisture Meters and more. The multi step process allows us to gather information efficiently and pinpoint the location of your leak on th water pipes.
How much does it cost to find a leak on my under floor heating?
The cost to find a leak on an underfloor heating system starts from £595 plus vat.
The actual water leak detection cost will depend on the type of underfloor heating system, the size of the system and your location.
Are flooring heating water leaks covered by insurance?
Usually underfloor heating leaks are covered by insurance under trace and access. Most home insurance companies have a trace and access section but it is not always included as standard.
If you do have trace and access on your policy then our fees for detecting and accessing the leak will be covered by your insurance provider. (Always confirm with your insurance company before assuming they will pay our trace and access leak detection cost)
How common are leaks in underfloor heating?
Leaks in underfloor heating systems are relatively uncommon. However, they can occur due to a variety of reasons, including poor installation, damage to pipes or fittings, or wear and tear over time.
Will a leaking under floor system cause a smell?
Yes, a leaking under floor system can cause a smell. This is because the leaking water can create a damp environment, which can lead to the growth of mold and mildew. These microorganisms produce a distinct musty odor that can be unpleasant. Additionally, if the leaking water comes into contact with sewage or other contaminants, it can cause a foul smell.
Can you repair the leak?
Yes, leaks in underfloor heating can be repaired. The method of repair will depend on the location of the leak and the type of underfloor heating system.
In some cases, the leak may be easily accessible and can be fixed by tightening a loose connection or replacing a damaged pipe.
In other cases, a repair may require more extensive work such as lifting the flooring to access the pipes.
Our professional plumbers and heating engineers are able identify and fix the leak efficiently.
How can underfloor heating leaks be prevented?
Underfloor heating leaks can be prevented with proactive maintenance and testing including:
Conduct regular inspections and maintenance of the underfloor heating system to identify potential issues before they become leaks. This includes checking for signs of wear and tear, loose connections, and damaged pipes.
Before the system is commissioned, perform a pressure test to ensure there are no leaks. This involves pressurizing the system with air or water and checking for any drop in pressure, which indicates a leak.
Use pipe protection sleeves or insulation where pipes pass through walls or concrete slabs to prevent any damage that could lead to leaks.
Use quality materials:
Invest in high-quality pipes and fittings that are designed for underfloor heating systems. Cheaper or substandard materials may be more prone to leaks and failures.
Avoid sharp bends or kinks:
Ensure pipes are laid out without sharp bends or kinks, as these can cause stress and potential leaks over time.
Avoid excessive pressure:
Avoid over-pressurizing the system, as it can strain the pipes and fittings, leading to leaks. Follow the recommended pressure limits provided by the manufacturer.
Proper flooring installation:
When installing the flooring over the underfloor heating system, ensure it is done correctly to avoid damaging the pipes. Avoid excessive force or sharp objects that can puncture or damage the pipes.
Our Other Specialist Services
- Bathroom Leaks; Bathtubs, sinks, toilets and shower leaks all make finding bathroom leaks a job for professional leak detectors.
- Ceiling Water Leak; Water leaks through your ceiling could be caused by a structural or plumbing issue.
- Leaking central heating; Heating pipes are usually hidden in walls and floors & found using our non destructive trace and access process.
- Commercial Water Leak Detection; Our focus is to find your leak quickly and efficiently, allowing your company operations to continue unaffected.
- Structural Leak Detection – We test all likely sources which include windows, doors, visible cracks, roofing leaks, chimneys and balconies.
- Leaks in swimming pools; We find leaks using pressure testing, acoustic, tracer gases and other in house testing procedures.
- Underground leaks – including water mains leak detection, drainage cctv surveys and irrigation system leaks.
- Water Damage Investigation Services – Our teams are experts at tracing the source of water damage!
Proud To Be The UK’s Leading Specialists In Under-floor Heating Leak Detection
Here at ADI Leak Detection we are committed to finding and repairing water leaks, it’s what we do everyday for clients across the UK.
We have a team of underfloor leak specialists strategically located throughout England, Scotland and Wales so you can be sure we can help you.
Call our super friendly and highly knowledgeable customer service team and learn how we can help you with your underfloor heating leak.