Water leaks cause considerable damages to homes, not to mention the monetary losses incurred in the form of repairs and renovations.
Building insurers often refer to water leaks as ‘escape of water’.
A massive chunk of the domestic property damage claims is related to escape of water.
Water leaks can be caused by a myriad of issues, from burst pipes to leaking dishwashers, blocked toilets, and so on. Generally, there are two types of leaks; the open leaks, and hidden leaks.
- Open leaks are easy to identify; you can clearly see where water is dripping from.
- But hidden leaks are a different case; you’ll never know there’s a leak until the wall starts being discolored or mold growing. At times, your ceiling suddenly starts showing a patch that starts from one corner and keeps growing bigger.
Leak detection work helps to detect water leaks within your building and in your gardens. An ordinary plumber won’t help you much; you need a professional water leak detection company.
Only such a company has the technological capability to identify even the most hidden leaks. Non-invasive leak detection methods are the smart way of doing things.
Where a plumber would spend hours physically digging or examining pipes, non-invasive methods can simply use smart technology like thermal imaging.
Thermal imaging is less invasive, more accurate.
Here are some of the most common noninvasive leak detection methods;
- Acoustic leak detection; leak detection companies use a special acoustic device that has ultra sensitive microphones. The device listens for leak sounds along the pipework; it’s capable of picking even the smallest sounds inaudible to the human ear. Thanks to modern technology, these devices have software that pinpoints sounds made by water leaks amid other background noises.
- Thermal imaging/ thermography; thermal imaging cameras can pick underground water pipes, including those buried under concrete and walls. These non-invasive cameras help engineers note the variations in surface temperatures. This method is one of the most reliable forms of non-invasive leak detection.
- Trace gas leak detection; this eco-friendly method relies on a device that pushes pressurized gas through the pipework. This is a special kind of non-toxic gas, it can also be blown under a floor heating system. A gas detector will then be used to detect where gas is leaking from; this is often the source of the water leak. This method is very effective, and leaks can be pinpointed even on concrete floors. It’s however slightly expensive and only selected leak detection companies have this equipment.
- Leak correlators; leak noise correlators use an electronic pulse to detect underground leaks. This method is ideal for large-scale use, for instance, in fields, farms, industrial complexes, and so on. Usually, two sensors will be placed on both ends of a pipe, with the suspected leak in the middle. Special sensors are then used to transmit sound in the form of radio signals. The signals are analyzed using mathematical algorithms to locate the exact location of a leak. If you have an extensive network of pipes that extend up to 600 meters, this technology is the most reliable.
What are the main advantages of non-invasive leak detection methods?
- First and foremost, non-invasive leak detection methods are more accurate. They have accuracy rates of almost 99%. Higher accuracy means that the problem is identified faster and like they say, a problem identified is a problem half solved.
- You also save much time because the technologies used are so advanced. Water leak detection companies will not even take an hour to pinpoint that hidden leak that has been giving you sleepless nights for months.
- Non-invasive water leak detection methods spare your buildings or structures physical damages. As we said, plumbers tend to physically search for that leak; this could mean dismantling entire pipe works in an attempt to find the leak. Other times they remove slabs and tiles looking for a leak. But with the smart non-invasive technology, there’s no need for all these.
Are you looking for a professional, affordable leak detection Company in the UK?
ADI Leak Detection is your go-to company; we’re the real pros of both internal and external leak detection services. We find and repair all leaks within your property at very affordable prices. For more details or queries, please feel free to give us a call on 0800 731 3843.